KCC LogoKillearn Community Council

Questions and Answers

Who? How? What? Where? Why? General information relevant to the Killearn Community Council area.

How can I place a notice on the community noticeboard?

Notices for display on the community noticeboard (please note that these must be community interest notices on behalf of the local Council or local charitable organisations – and not adverts for classes/events etc. which are of more of a personal interest) can be submitted in digital formats to ContactUs@KillearnCC.org.uk. Notices in paper format can be handed in to Machar House, Ibert Rd or 16 Birch Rd.

What can be done about drone flying causing a nuisance?

Stirling Council has no guidelines about the operation of drones.

The Civil Aviation Authority does have guidelines for the operation of such craft within the UK. These include safety and safe operation of craft, craft weight restrictions, craft operational restrictions and permissions, maximum permissible height and distance from operator, and minimum permissible distance in relation to people etc.

Noise intrusion may be dealt with by the Statutory Nuisance Provisions of the Public Health etc. (Scotland) Act 2008.

Traffic behaviour in my road is becoming dangerous. How should I raise this with Stirling Council?

In the first instance you should contact Stirling Council (info@stirling.gov.uk) and outline clearly your concerns. It will be helpful if you are able to show that your views are representative of local residents, particularly as certain traffic calming measures such as rumble strips, chicanes or sleeping policemen do not meet with universal approval. Providing details of any accidents would also be relevant. You may wish also to alert your local councillors Alistair Berrill and Robert Davies to your concerns with a view to engaging their support if they felt it to be appropriate.

It is likely that before Council Officials would be prepared to take any action they would wish to conduct a survey to gauge the extent of the problem. This can be a fairly lengthy process.

Why is my broadband so rubbish, and what's being done about it?

For the latest, more detailed information about the arrival of Next Generation Broadband in Killearn, see our Killearn Broadband Group pages.

Disclaimer: The following information is intended to be informative. It is not authoritative and cannot be expected to carry any weight in e.g. a dispute with a supplier.

Summary: Rapid recent development of popular Internet services require high-capacity, high-speed connections. The Internet infrastructure in our rural location is relatively dated and will become less and less able to meet increasing demand. This is a known issue and improved infrastructure to address it is currently scheduled to be installed in the Killearn area in the second half of 2016.

Internet services require data to be transferred to your computer. In particular, watching video requires very large amounts of data to be transferred. Catch-up services such as iPlayer and movie services such as Netflix have recently become very popular. Usually groups of houses such as streets share the same infrastructure. If many people use such services simultaneously, which is especially common in the evenings, the data transfer is shared between the users. The fraction which each user receives can easily become too small to support the demand. This is similar to turning on all the taps in your house – the water flow to any one tap is less than if that tap were the only one on.

Our rural location with its low-density population means that there is less consumer demand for new infrastructure than in urban areas. It is also less commercially viable for companies to carry out the installation.

Because of this, broadband suppliers do not guarantee a particular rate of data transfer. They only provide rates “up to” the maximum the infrastructure can support.

Digital Scotland is the organisation charged by the Scottish Government with improving broadband provision across Scotland. They currently estimate that improved infrastructure will be installed in the Killearn area between July and December 2016. However this estimate may change, either backwards or forwards. It also depends on factors outwith Digital Scotland's control, such as the need to gain planning permission for some installations in conservation areas. You can enter your postcode at the superfast broadband area of their website to check for updates.

Update February 2015: Digital Scotland's latest interactive map says of the Killearn area “Work under the Digital Scotland programme means that the first premises in this area are currently expected to receive fibre broadband in the period July to December 2015.” This appears to be an advancement on the 2016 date although there is no indication of which premises will be first or when fibre broadband will be available to all premises.

The above assumes that your broadband connection is not actually faulty, which is a possibility for many reasons. If you suspect a fault then you should contact your broadband supplier.

What is the Smartwater Scheme?

On 29th September 2014 Police Scotland launched a crime prevention scheme at Killearn Village Hall. The scheme involved Police providing ‘Smartwater’ property marking kits to some householders in the Strathblane and Killearn communities in areas which analysis suggests are attractive to housebreakers.

SmartWater is a commercial product and is a liquid used to mark items of property (mobile phones; computers; jewellery etc). The chemical is invisible once dry but can be seen using the correct ultraviolet light. The chemical contains a unique marker which is registered to the user and can help to reunite recovered property with the owner. The scheme also provides signs displayed on main road routes around the community to let potential criminals know that the product is in use. Other communities where the scheme is operated have experienced a dramatic reduction in crime.

Killearn and Strathblane were chosen along with communities in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and other towns and cities as areas where the scheme is likely to work well.

If you are interested in using Smartwater, you can purchase it online at the SmartWater shop.

When does the mobile library visit Killearn?

A schedule of visits is available.

When do the bins get emptied?

And what goes in which bin?

Dates and details of refuse collection are available.

How do I report a pothole?

Stirling Council will only provide compensation for damage to vehicles if they have a record of a formal complaint prior to the incident. To report potholes you have three options:

  1. Email stirlingcouncilcrm@stirling.gov.uk including:

    • Location of pothole with name of road and nearest house address, if there is one.
    • The approximate size of the pothole ie width, length and depth.
    • If possible include a photograph of the pothole.
  2. Complete the pothole report form on Stirling Council's website.

  3. Telephone Stirling Council on 0845 277 7000.

If you do not receive a reply, please contact us.

How do I report dog fouling?

There have been a number of complaints regarding dog fouling, particularly near the school. Please report these to Stirling Council on 0845 277 7000. Anonymous complaints naming the perpetrator are welcome.

Why is there no water supply in the cemetery?

Following an enquiry from a resident about providing a water supply at Killearn Cemetery, we have a reply from Stirling Council. Regulations now require that all water supplies are tested regularly to ensure that no harmful bacteria such as Legionella are present. This is the case even if the water is not intended for drinking, as disease can spread in other ways. Stirling Council does not have the resources to be able to carry out regular testing and so cannot provide a water supply at the cemetery. The Council is, however, considering all possible options.